WHO WE ARE
Our mission is to present, by our own example, that homeless and economically disadvantaged people, with the proper resources, empowerment, opportunity, and encouragement are capable of creating change for ourselves in society.
Spare Change provides a locus of stability and community, and serves as a nexus of life transition for its primary customers – the newspaper vendors. Meanwhile, the publication is devoted to producing quality editorial content, which includes journalistic, fiction, creative and opinion writing, illustration, and cartooning. This commitment is meant to serve Spare Change’s secondary customers, i.e., the readers themselves.
Our content is almost always 100% locally produced, with much of it written, drawn and photographed by currently or formerly homeless, or otherwise low-income individuals. Finally, the newspaper serves as a resource for people in need of services such as food, shelter, clothing, employment, healthcare and legal aid, as can be found in the “Situations Wanted” and “Helping Hands” sections of the print edition.
We rely on volunteers to help meet our mission. Current administrative volunteer opportunities include:
- On-call reporters to cover events and news stories. This position requires a background in journalism or writing.
- Editorial assistants edit copy in our Harvard Square office. This position requires a background in editing or writing.
- Artists provide pen-and-ink drawings to accompany articles. This position requires artistic or illustration experience.
- Database input input information into our electronic databases and generate “thank you” letters. This position requires experience with electronic databases.
- Marketers create and implement a plan to develop more awareness of the Homeless Empowerment Project and Spare Change News in the greater Boston area. This positions requires marketing, advertising, or communications experience.
- Grantwriters research and write grants. This position requiers funding, nonprofit development, or grantwriting experience.
- Serve on our Development Committee which plans and implements marketing and fundraising activities.
- Provide periodic support for fundraising activities such as assisting with mass mailings, helping at fundraising events, etc.
My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.Maya AngelouAuthor